Monday, October 7, 2019

To Make Each Day Count

We were finally finished at about 2:30pm and we were ready to go home.  We paid our bill, hopped in the car and got on toll road E470 this time.  Your father asked if I wanted to drive and I jumped on that one.  I just knew that the toll road would be a calmer drive than I-70, I-225 and I-25.  I could focus on driving which helped me calm down from the day.  Not to mention we were EXHAUSTED!!!  They really move you along and barely have any time to sit down.  But I get why they do it. 

We got to the airport around 3:00, returned the car, got through a packed but quick TSA line and were on our way to terminal C!   We had a light lunch at the clinic but nothing to hold us through the evening.  Our flight didn't take off till 7:30pm MST, so we had much time to kill.  We walked up and down the terminal trying to decide if we were hungry or not.  We decided we were.

We found a restaurant called Root Down.  This little travelers paradise has reclaimed butcher-block tables and reupholstered, vintage chairs, re-purposed suitcases, dozens of airplane flaps and globes, all relics from America's jet-setting past.  Your dad had the Root Down Beef Burger that had a delicious Sriracha mayo on a pretzel bun and sweet potato fries.  I had the Peach-Bourbon French Toast...corn-flake crust, blueberries, candied ginger, cacoa nibs, with cashews and caramel.  OMG I DIED!!!   After a long day we splurged with two double-shot gin and tonics.  That seemed to calm our nerves.





We had plenty of time to sit and just BE with each other.  We took our time through dinner to enjoy the atmosphere and each other.  Taking in the moments of being on this adventure together, reviewing the highs and lows of the day.  We boarded the our Southwest Airlines flight to go home.  We happened to get the last two seats by each other in the last row, which was fine...everyone lands together no matter where you're at in the plane.

I took the middle seat and Greg grabbed the aisle.  I quickly started in on a conversation with the Omaha native sitting next to me.  We chatted about what we did for careers, where were going to/from.  I told him in a much shorter fashion about our adventure through CCRM that day.  He was just in awe that we were at that point in our lives.  He was experiencing a long day of traveling as well and had not had time to get much in for meals between flights.  So I reached into my bag, grabbed the bags of snacks we had from the flight before and said he could have any or all of it if he wanted.  He was so thankful that someone would offer their snacks like that.  I knew I wasn't going to eat them so why would I throw them out later.  After he finished his snacks, he thanked me and offered many kind and hopeful words of encouragement.  He too offered to pray for us and our journey, that God would bless us in His own fashion.  Talk about God putting someone in your path to step in to pick you back up and dust off your shoulders.

We again had our bag of candy ready for the crew on our flight.  This crew seemed to ham it up a bit more after we got up in the air.  We were known as the celebrities of the back of the plane.  We were spoken to in a fun over exaggerated British voice as Mr. and Mrs. Amazing.  They offered us our snacks first, we received our drinks first.  When we deplaned in Omaha, the crew were messaging their family members telling them about our kind gesture.  Again...we NEVER expecting anything in return.  It was just a fun end to a quick trip to Denver and back.


No comments:

Post a Comment